Google Search Engine’s Goal is simple – to give visitors the most relevant answers to their queries as quickly as possible. With this in mind, Google asks over 200 questions of each page before delivering the results.
Questions such as:
Do the searched words appear in the title of the website, the URL (website address), headings, copy of the website, image alt tags?
Does the page include similar keywords related to the topic? Are other relevant websites linking to the site?
Is the website quality or spammy?
What Page Rank does the website have?
How many people are interactivng with the website via social networks?
and many more.
Although search engines regularly change their algorithms (the way they rank search results), if you keep the following principles in mind while creating or updating your website, you have a much better chance of ranking highly.
1. Your website should include quality and original content. Do not copy from others as you can get penalised for having duplicate content. Write your own information or hire a professional copywriter to help you.
2. Include keywords and key phrases for which you would like to rank higher in each page’s title, headings, copy, meta description and alt tags of your images. Your website designer can help with this.
3. Wherever possible include the keywords in the domain name or at least in the names of your pages. For example, name your page like this: abccleaningcompany.com.au/residential-cleaning instead of abccleaningcompany.com.au/page123.htm.
4. Do not create your complete website using flash, as search engines are not able to easily index it.
5. Make sure you have clear and easy to follow navigation system.
6. Ensure your website looks good on mobile phones and devices, as more and more people are accessing the internet that way.
7. Update your website regularly with fresh information.
8. Get as many links as possible from relevant websites back to yours. For example, if you are a florist, getting links from other gift suppliers is ideal, but getting a link from a carpet cleaner would not be relevant.
9. If you are a local business, add your website to Google Places.
10. Add credibility to your website by signing up for Google Authorship. You will need to first set up your Google+ Profile if you don’t have it already.
11. Get involved in social media, such as Facebook, YouTube, Twitter, LinkedIn etc. Google pays close attention to your social media interaction with your visitors.
Don’t be intimidated by the Search Engines, do more research about search engine optimisation and relevant keywords for your website and start working on improving your rankings. If it still feels too overwhelming, you can hire a reputable search engine optimisation company.
Ivana Katz makes it easy for you to get your business on the internet. If you’re looking for a professional and affordable website designer, visit www.web4business.com.au and download a free website plan or connect with Ivana on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/Websites4SmallBusiness